Contemporary Washington, DC Condominium Renovation
The primary challenge of this condominium renovation was to transform what had once been two units into an optimized, light-filled single space with a contemporary design and incredible river views. The client could see the potential, but the realities of fixed plumbing, electric and structural column locations – all seemingly immovable obstacles in the wrong places – were daunting.
The BOWA Solution:
BOWA and the client executed an extensive forensic study of the original building plans to gauge feasibility. In the process, a plan was created that prioritized optimizing the beautiful river views. During the renovation phase, plumbing, electrical, fireplace flues, gas lines, and communication systems were located and re-routed, and walls were removed to allow the open plan to come to fruition. All the materials and finishes were pre-selected, allowing BOWA to provide the client with a fixed price contract and firm production schedule prior to commencement. All of this was done in a prestigious, occupied building while maintaining an exceptional relationship with the building management and neighbors.
- Extensive maple millwork and glass, designed to be light and functional, separates living spaces and minimizes the need for walls
- All existing and new walls were insulated to aid in sound buffering
- Master bath features curbless shower with linear drain and lighted panels
- 5-inch rift and quartered, sand-in-place FSC engineered maple floors throughout
- His and hers adjoining office spaces incorporate extensive home library