Purchase Consultation and Carriage House Garage Addition in Chevy Chase
This design build project began with a call to BOWA for a purchase consultation while the property was still on the market. The prospective homeowners wanted to study the feasibility of adding a detached structure that would be complementary in style to the existing home and neighborhood. They wanted a structure that would provide additional garage space, a guest suite, and a home office. The site itself presented early challenges because the home was situated on a tight lot with dramatic grade changes. Based on the consultation, the purchasers put the property under contract and the BOWA team was ready to break ground the day after settlement.
The BOWA Solution:
To address the space size and fluctuating grade levels, BOWA constructed a series of retaining walls abutting the property line to maximize available building area and ensure the neighboring property was not disrupted. This strategy allowed for the addition of a sizable carriage house and a large courtyard to the rear for outdoor entertaining and enjoyment.
- Beautiful dark wood garage doors
- Special insulation methodology used to ensure comfortable living space year-round
- Upstairs space features French doors that open onto Juliet Balcony
- Antique cobblestone and brick recovered from Georgetown neighborhood of Washington D.C.
- Original garage space renovated to create entrance foyer and powder room
- Copper standing-seam roof and gutters added to original garage to match new structure