Spacious Two-Story Addition in Washington DC
The homeowners wanted to increase their livable space in Northwest, D.C. with an addition to the rear of the home. The lot was extremely limited in size, and making use of the available space was the challenge. A steep drop-off in the back yard, as well as the proximity to neighboring properties made it logistically difficult for the BOWA team to renovate the home with ease.
The BOWA Solution:
A two-story addition was extended out from the family kitchen and lower-level family room to accommodate the family’s need for more space. This addition permitted a family room that extended out from the kitchen on the first level and a large media room within the lower level of the home. A screen porch and small outdoor grill deck were also added with an Ipe wood staircase that leads to the garden level of the home. Now, the family enjoys a more expansive home within their D.C. neighborhood.
- Living space features a wood-burning fireplace, custom built-in cabinetry, and a coffered ceiling
- Hand-glazed ceramic tile framed fireplace and custom mantle accommodated the TV
- Media/game room created for the younger family members to enjoy
- Screen porch with stained wood beadboard ceiling and floorboards gives a tree-top view of wooded backyard
- Au-pair full-suite with custom kitchen and additional full bath