McLean, Va. — BOWA (www.bowa.com), a home transformation company specializing in the design and construction of large-scale additions and renovations, advises homeowners to be proactive in protecting their homes during hurricane season, which lasts through November. According to the book Hurricanes and the Middle Atlantic States, the East Coast is amidst an active hurricane cycle, which began in 1995 and should last into the 2020s.
“As we’ve seen from harsh weather this year, the high winds and heavy rainfall that come with severe storms and hurricanes can cause a significant amount of damage to homes, often from flooding and fallen trees or branches,” said Larry Weinberg, CEO of BOWA. “However, homeowners can take precautionary steps to best protect their property during inclement weather and minimize repair costs when storms do hit.”
Some preventive actions that help homeowners avoid costly repairs and damages include:
- Clearing away yard debris and dead/dying branches: Large branches or trees can fall easily from the high winds during a storm. Be sure to trim any dead or dying branches.
- Ensuring gutters are kept clean and in good shape: Remove any leaves, branches, or debris from gutter systems.
- Making sure areaway and storm drains are clear: Failure to clear these areas could lead to excess water backing up into the home if the drains are clogged.
- Plugging expensive household items into surge protectors, or unplugging them altogether: Items such as stereos, televisions and computers should either be unplugged or connected to surge protectors before a storm.
- Removing outdoor furniture and potted plants: Move any unsecured items indoors to protect against broken windows and a damaged exterior.
- Learning how to safely operate your generator: All generators are not the same, so be sure to read the manufacturer’s instruction manual to ensure proper operation.
- Preparing your pool: Do not drain all of the water from the pool. Turn off power to any pool equipment and remove any loose pool items. Also, add extra chlorine to the pool to prevent contamination from any debris from the storm.
BOWA transforms houses into homes™ through the design and construction of large-scale, luxury renovations and additions. From the very beginning, BOWA provides the single point of accountability for its customers, guiding, executing, and managing their design, construction, and client experience. Drawing on a tradition of excellence for over 20 years, BOWA’s professionals have found that complex projects require input from numerous experts. Having one party that assembles and manages the team, takes accountability for the entire process and looks after the client’s best interests is the key to having a world-class remodeling experience. BOWA has been honored with more than 100 local and national awards of excellence, including being named National Remodeler of the Year by Professional Remodeler Magazine and largest Whole House Remodeler by Qualified Remodeler Magazine. With offices in McLean and Middleburg, Virginia, BOWA serves clients in Suburban Maryland, the District of Columbia and Northern Virginia. For more information, visit www.bowa.com or call 703-734-9050