Kitchen and Master Suite Upgrade for Fairfax Station Home
The owners of this Fairfax Station home knew the location and property size were perfect for their growing family. However, the standard builder-grade finishes and layout didn’t fit their design goals and space needs. The kitchen was too small for this family of six, the master bathroom needed to be more relaxing, and with news of their fourth child on the way during the design period, the family needed a fifth bedroom.
The BOWA Solution:
The BOWA design team created a master plan for the family based on their desire to stay in the home for the next 20 years. Walls were removed in the kitchen to enlarge the overall area, ease flow into the adjacent family room, and create a new center for the home. The large kitchen island provides ample space for cooking, storage, homework, and entertaining guests. The master bath was transformed into a spa-like space with a new sculptural soaking tub, large steam shower and makeup vanity. The basement bathroom now features modern details and a zero-threshold wet room with a large soaking tub, creating a stylish and comfortable aging-in-place area in the in-law suite. Space for the fifth bedroom was found by building over an existing study. They now have a home to fit their large family comfortably and with the design elements they desired.
- New flooring throughout home, featuring hand-scrapped walnut hardwood on first floor
- Two staircases upgraded with new balusters and railings, updating the overall look of the home and enhancing the design of the two-story foyer
- New entrance created at the rear of the home, connecting the existing patio and providing easier access to utility space
- Pocket doors installed in master bathroom to save space and add design interest
- Warm, inviting space created from existing bones of high-end, builder-grade home